Thursday, February 3, 2011

Summer Uncertainties

This summer is already driving me crazy.  I have a few options in place, and I need to decide what would be best for me.  Of course I am praying for what Heavenly Father has planned for me, but I feel that I do need to put forth my own effort, and he can't tell me exactly what to do if I don't do my own research . . . does that make sense?

Home and Work Options
1.  Work for Honda World - live in Heber with parents.  Positives:  This job is way fun - I love the people there!  I have family and great friends working there, I know the system well, and I get paid pretty well.  Living at home I wouldn't have to pay for rent or food.  I'd be closer to a few old friends.  I'd have a few days off to enjoy summer!  Negatives:  It's a Saturday-only job.  I wouldn't be making much money in comparison to working somewhere else full time.  Some days are very slow and the work can be repetitive and mundane.  I don't get to walk around the building much - I'm pretty much trapped behind my desk while everyone else gets to go where they please.  I'm not a big fan of Heber/Midway Singles Wards.

2.  Work and live at Aspen Grove.  Positives:  I've heard great feedback from two great friends who have worked and loved it there.  Most positions spend most of their time outdoors.  It pays pretty well, plus free room and board with the other college-aged students who work there.  You work with new people almost every week!  I'd stay in the same ward boundaries that I'm in now - which I love.  Negatives:  Only one day off each week.  What if I run into drama with another worker? -  There's no escape!  (I had to search to find these negatives, I don't know much about working there at all.)

3.  Work somewhere in Provo/Orem area, Live at Raintree.  Positives:  Same ward - which I love!  Have a job lined up if I need to continue to work through school.  Remaining independent as far as living goes!  Negatives:  Finding a job in this economy is so difficult.  Pay for groceries and rent (even though it's a reduced price, it's still rent!) - expensive!

4.  College Program in Disneyland (Anaheim, CA).  This might not be a real option, I don't know when their next program begins - it may not start until August!  Honestly I really want to go back to work at Disneyland again someday, but I really want to do the program again next January - the same time frame as the last one.  But for now - Positives:  I love Disneyland - I could live there AGAIN everyday this summer!  I know the basic ins and outs of working there.  Great pay!  Great atmosphere, weather, etc.  There are so many good qualities about this choice, I can't list them all.  Negatives:  I'd miss another semester at school (Fall).  I'd be there during the holidays (Thanksgiving, Christmas, etc).  It's far from family and friends.  I'd be working on Sundays (though I'd be working around my Church schedule). 

So I've got a few options; now it's just down to weighing out the positives vs. negatives and learning through prayer.  When did life get so difficult?  Why did I have to grow up and become responsible?  Where was Peter Pan when I was 9 and carefree?  Why couldn't I have been whisked off to Neverland to stop growing up?  I do love my life, and I do love becoming an adult, I just don't love making these choices.


No comments:

Post a Comment